Tuesday, July 21, 2009

On timing and skimming




It's official. I'm developing the art of skimming. As a new OU student and returning to formal studies after last graduating with my Masters in 1993, I have often wondered during H800 whether I would acquire this ability. In Week 12, we considered a paper by Richardson (2005) which observed that we can bring about desirable approaches to studying by appropriate course design, teaching methods and forms of assessment. Richardson also found that there is an intimate relationship between students' perceptions of quality, and the approaches to studying that they adopt. Perceptions of quality and learner experience are multi-faceted; important aspects including the course design and structure, mapping against learning outcomes, appropriate workload and assessment tasks. So drawing these threads together, I would say that although the course design and quality of materials is generally excellent, I am at a 'tipping point' where the course workload is affecting my perception of quality (and ownership) and is bringing about a more shallow or superficial approach. Either that, or I am internalising and consolidating the course material to such an extent that I can now adopt more efficient study methods!! In the next few weeks I have no option but to fit the course around ROL (rest of life) rather than fit ROL around the course, which I did seem to be doing in the beginning. TMA04 has to be finished early by at least a week so I'm going to be multi-programming between that and trying to achieve what I can from the remaining weeks of course material.

4 comments:

  1. Very much agree with your assessment of the course here Lesley. Interesting point made by another student today (Nadine) who suggested the ability for us to select what we cover or not could also be construed as part of our 'ownership' of our own learning. If we think that part of the course is of less value (for me the week covering mobile technology and this latest week on 'metaphors'), then we can choose not to go into the depth of detail the course requires. Does that make the course less valuable to us? I don't think so. In my view ownership incorporates the knowledge of what we need, what we might need, and what we definitely don't need. Your 'skimming' well help you judge which of these buckets the information falls into. Once a person reaches a certain level of maturity and self-awareness (which I hope you'll forgive me when I say I think myself and yourself have), this ownership should be inherent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John that's a wonderful comment thank you. It's just crystallised something for me. I have been thinking that if I don't do all the material in the last three weeks I'll somehow be falling short - there seems to be no flexibility or choice built into the course. However I can make my own flexibility and I will actually be consolidating my ownership rather than compromising it! Brilliant. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lesley
    you're now doing what I do to maintain sanity and quality of life. As I said in our brilliant elluminate session I found my cruise control half way through my first course (H808). I am happy scoring between 60 and 70 for TMA's as thats a lot less stressful for me. I often skim course material and often work backwards from a TMA (tip from one of the H8 tutors). As you go through the courses you'll find a lot of overlap anyway. As John and Nadine mentioned this to me is me owning my learning and fitting it in with my liestyle. It would probably be different if my lifestyle was different and there was only me to consider.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Tracey thanks for this comment - I must have missed your thought in the Elluminate session when I was reloading the whole works. Always wondered how you got through everything! You're right, when we have so many other constraints in life, we have to adapt what we can achieve, in order to stay sane...

    ReplyDelete