Friday, July 10, 2009

My PLE:how things have changed in 10 years



I'm interrupting my rearward looking introspections to do a bit of up to date posting and consider my PLE (or Personal Learning Environment). This is the acquired collection of tools and services that we use outside the confines of institutional provision. Mostly these tools are freely available on the web, feature rich and easy to use. There can be a contention between PLE's and institutionally controlled systems which may less functional and flexible, but do supply the consistency and uniformity required for collaborative work and assessment purposes.

We are asked to consider how our own practice and use of technologies has changed over the last 10 years or so. The technologies in my PLE above have revolutionised my life whilst I have been in South Africa - when we arrived I had access to email and internet browsers on a dial up modem and that was about it. I was amused to see how complex my PLE is already - and there are still tons of tools I have yet to explore. It has definitely become the richer for joining H800!

I don't know where I would be without the technology any more. It enables me to continously stay in touch with what's going on in the UK, to keep in touch with family and friends, to professionally develop, to network, be a part of online events, and to have fun.

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree that the PLE has become richer since starting H800 Lesley. It has pushed us to explore these technologies in the contect of education but I think it has much wider benefits and implications. I think it has turned me into a real techie, as opposed to just pretending to be one. The course helps to drive a real passion for technology when you experience the benefits (Blogs and Google reader have been the big ones for me). Like the diagram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Great diagram and I agree H800 has opened up technologies including, for me, blogs. I am on the road to being a techie so at the moment would class myself as an apprentice techie with a thirst to explore more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An 'apprentice techie' (Ha Ha).....I love that. I'm right beside you there (with my new eBook Reader I think I even look the part!).
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew what an eBook Reader was exactly!! Have to go and do a spot of research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lesely,

    What software did you use to create your diagram? Was it Compendium by any chance?

    Regards,

    Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Philip

    It's just Powerpoint. I looked at Compendium but wanted to be a bit more artistic. I love 'drawing' in Powerpoint and find it mental therapy!

    Hope you doing alright with the course.

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete