Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bit more on consolidation and review

Just a little more on why I find consolidating and reviewing so satisfying. It's because it's a higher order thinking skill. I like this representation of Bloom's taxonomy from teachj.wordpress.com/. It relates to my earlier post on ownership and learning and teaching approach, where I included two graphs from the infoDev website, also depicting the taxonomy. When we are reading papers, we are at the first level of being presented with information. We then have to understand it and apply it, which we do individually and in the forums. Reading is (for me) a passive activity, and it is only when we get to the higher levels that I am able to move beyond the 'control' of the course and inhabit my own space as it were. Higher order thinking skills represent a deeper approach and a greater sense of ownership in my work. My blog is a great tool for assisting me with this more creative, more free, activity.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lesley
    I'm a fellow H800 student (Lesley's group) and found your blog through an Elluminate RSS feed. I just wanted to say thanks for this entry - it made a lot of things much clearer for me. Struggling on with writing up the assignment now....
    Frauke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frauke

    It was really nice to read your comment, as I am also struggling this evening with TMA04. It seems to go on for ever and ever....roll on the finish line....

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete