Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The best Christmas present



Just been watching the classic Snowman on DVD, and pleased to be returning to my old friend, my blog. I've missed you. Today our H800 ECA results came out, a few days earlier than expected. I'm really pleased with my result, especially since I ended up doing the whole thing inside two weeks. The best Christmas present ever though, is that we have climbed the highest mountain, flown in the clouds and still not back down to earth; my intelligent 10 year old son is for the first time able to read out from a book fluently, without stumbling and hesitating; finding it so difficult without either of us knowing why. Since early September I have finally got everyone on our side to realise that intelligence, 'coping' in the classroom and trying so very hard can mask a learning difficulty in a child. As a result of the Cellfield intervention from Australia, my son's specific difficulties have been vastly eased. I have learned such a lot about about the mechanics of reading and how we need to have the correct neurological pathways in place before we can read successfully. We are not out of the woods yet; but certainly in a much more hopeful space for the future. It's like him suddenly being able to swim beautiful front crawl after doggy paddle had to do.

So we feel deserving of our holidays, and looking forward to the new year with renewed optimism and hope. We have decided to stay in South Africa for the time being, and I am going to try and progress my research studies somehow with the OU from afar, maybe by next tackling H809 Practice Based Research in Educational Technology. I have a few weeks to decide.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lesley on your result, well done. I was very pleased with my result which made me realise what a great H800 group we were all fortunate to be a part of. I am glad to hear the future is looking so good, enjoy your holiday. I'll catch up in more detail soon, I'm writing Christmas cards as the last posting dates are just around the corner - how did we ever fit in all that study?! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie thanks for the comment and big congratulations on your result!! Now we have got to the end, all the hard work did seem really worthwhile didn't it. Like you say it's the people who make the course come alive and we did have a great group. Here's to more successful OU studies! (OMG did I just say that)

    ReplyDelete