Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Back in circulation

I'm back from my travels to the UK. We had a whirlwind trip and I can't believe how much we managed to fit in. We had such a great start - we were upgraded to London as the plane was overbooked. Once you've sat in way bigger seats with TWO footrests and acres more space (the only thing extra we could have wanted is to lie down which wasn't a problem on a day flight) - then you never want to go back to cattle class again.... well I can wish, can't I.

So after a whirlwind of family, friends, Edinburgh wedding, British weather, British traffic, British prices, and....British food, we are actually really incredibly glad to be back in sunny South Africa. It's Spring. The sun is shining, and the crickets are humming at night. I love it here.

Etienne Wenger of Communities of Practice fame says he's not sure he belongs anywhere any more - being split between Switzerland and the US. Which is it, not belonging anywhere, or belonging in both and somehow synthesising a new and composite identity?

2 comments:

  1. This is how I feel having started H808 and not finished H800. Feel like I'm in two different countries and torn between both. Confused and under pressure. Glad to hear your trip went well. You must have finished your ECA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John it's really good to hear from you. I'm afraid it's the other extreme - I haven't started my ECA - now that is really scary. I really pulled out all the stops for TMA04 and even ended up working on the flight (in my nice big seat)and in the UK. I am within 2% of a distinction but didn't quite make it. So at least the pressure is off for trying for 85% on the ECA - I'll be pleased with whatever I do! It was a big deal coming to the UK at this time but it was a family thing, and I met Julie and Jo at the OU, which was fabulous.

    I am always surprised when you say you are under pressure - to me you always seem to be keeping perfect time on the course. You are three quarters of the way through your ECA and you will be just fine. You are on the downward slope now!!

    I'm going to the Elluminate tonight and also hoping to join in with Philip on Saturday. I have two weeeks to pull it out of the bag. Meanwhile we are making major life-changing decisions about which country is best as we can't physically be in both at once!! :-)

    ReplyDelete